Brief history of Penampang District Council
Penampang District Council was formed in 1958. During that time it was known as JESSELTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL or JRDC. The areas that were covered by JRDC during that time are Telipok Town including area up to Kampung Likas, Taman Foh Sang, Taman Stephen and the whole areas of Penampang Sub-District. Its office was located at the Penampang Sub-District Office.
The first head of JRDC was the District Officer of Jesselton, Mr. Blow D.S.O whereby the Chief Executive was the Assistant District Officer. The Councillors comprised of all the District Chiefs namely: OKK Laiman Diki bin Siram, Majimbun Majangkim, Tan Pin Hing, Ewan Bin Empok and Ahsai bin Ghani; Chinese Kapitan: Foo Ah Kau (Penampang), Wong Nam Fatt(Telipok), Chin Nyuk (Menggatal), Chin Tsun Yin (Inanam) and Ng Swee Hock (Putatan); Property Owners: Mr. W. C. Collard (Lok Kawi Estate) and Julius Makajil (Penampang.
In 1966, the Local Government Ordinance 1961 was amended whereby Councilors are to be appointed by the Minister of Local Government Sabah.
When the name Jesselton was changed to Kota Kinabalu, Jesselton Rural District Council (JRDC) was also changed to Kota Kinabalu Rural District Council (KKRDC). In 1978, Kota Kinabalu Town Board was upgraded to Kota Kinabalu Municipal Council hence Kota Kinabalu Rural District Council (KKRDC) became Penampang District Council (PDC).
On 18 Mac 1997, Putatan Sub-District was officially formed but the administration by the Local Authority in that area still remains under Penampang District Council.